Monday, January 28, 2008

Into the Ear Zone

Disclaimer before reading: Remember I told you I wanted to try to update my blog more. I didn't necessarily mean that it would be worth reading--but in the infamous words of the pioneer woman -I just wanted to "keep it real".

For the past week or so, I have had sinus problems--drainage, scratchy throat, coughing etc. you know --all that fun stuff that is awesome to blog about. It doesn't seem to want to go away. Yesterday I was discussing this with my good friend, the "voodoo nutjob" who told me about a treatment using hydrogen peroxide. You can read all about it here: http://klay-slay.blogspot.com/ . I am always open to any alternatives that don't require pharmaceutical meds so tonight after supper, I decided to give it a try.

I have never tried pouring anything into my ears before, so I decided I might need some help.
I enlisted Will, to help me. He, being 14 yrs. old. and having nothing better to do jumped at the chance. So after retrieving the peroxide, we proceeded to the kitchen counter, where I layed my head down for the treatment. Oh, by the way, after discovering that we didn't own an eye or "ear" dropper, we quickly improvised by using a straw to pick up the liquid by placing your finger over the one end to keep the liquid in the straw....WARNING..... Do not try to suck the hydrogen peroxide up into the straw, no matter how hard you try, you will not be able to stop before you get a good old taste. Then you can run around screaming and chasing other family members, while you foam at the mouth.

By this time we were both laughing hysterically, and Will could hardly hold the straw still enough to get any peroxide in my ear. The 1st couple of times it ended up running down my face. Finally it hit the correct spot. After the initial coldness, and feeling like you have swimming pool water in your ear, the fizzing and popping began. Remember the candy we got as kids, that popped and fizzled when you put it in your mouth---same feeling only in your ears.


Warning #2 Find out BEFORE you start how long you are suppose to leave the stuff in your ear. It's kind of hard to use the phone to call your friend, or to go to her blog to read the link with the directions, with one ear flat on the counter and the other one full of peroxide. More laughter ensued at this point. We decided on about 3-5 minutes per ear in case you are wondering.

It was here that we decided we should get a picture of this. Wouldn't be complete without a picture or two to go along. This required Will to climb onto the counter and shoot down at my head from above.

Insert more laughter at this point. :)

At any rate, the experiment has been completed for about one hour. My ears if nothing else do feel cleaner, and my nose does seem to feel less stuffy. I will be sure to check back in with you all tomorrow for an update. I know that you all will be counting the minutes until then. At any rate even if it doesn't help at all, it provided this father , some good quality time with his oldest son.


Sorry, Will couldn't zoom in far enough to actually see the peroxide in my ear canal. I know that is a big dissapointment to you all. I leave you with one final comment, "When did my ears become so hairy??" I challenge you all to have someone take a picture of your ear, just so you can see what it looks like. Maybe we could have a contest and try to guess who everyone is just by looking at their ears. ;)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I just finished reading Kathy's blog and then come here to read more about peroxide. I think I will have to get a bottle. And an eye dropper!

Kathy said...

I was LMBO as I read this! The picture just topped it off! Around five minutes per ear is good. But one night I fell asleep while it was in my second ear and when I woke up the next morning, all was fine. It didn't liquify my brain or anything. (Or did it?!) Also, our good buddy KK tried it and her cold is gone. So the question is...Is yours?